Monday, December 10, 2007

Pirandello

1. I think that the theme of a work is one of the most important. If you write something with no meaning then there is no reason for it to be read. The intention behind a work is often what leads to the theme, and it is the intention that is most important in a work. A great piece of literature needs to be able to express some idea because without a good main idea the piece wouldn't be necessarily great. For those who think that a great work does not need a main idea, i believe that clear ideas are necessary for a work to be exciting or interesting. Almost all works convey some type of theme. Like in in Harry Potter, there are themes of friendship, good triumphing over evil, and love.

2. I think that works written a long time ago and are still popular today because those who wrote them were able to send a message through there work. Even when it is set in a different time, there are still some of the same issues present in old works. Like conflicting families and young love in Romeo and Juliet. I could never see myself creating a work that would be passed down through the generations just because I don't think any writing I have done is powerful enough.

3. If I could have one life lasting impact on the world through writing it would be to send a message that not necessarily changes the world, but instead show the world that there is good, love, friendship, and trust even in the coldest places. For the world basically sucks and if people were able to see the good and the hope then maybe things could change. As a writer I doubt I will ever have this impact on the world though. It would be important for the message to get out there somehow. If I was some great writer I would try to get my message out through great novels and short poems.

2 comments:

Rimma said...

I agree with your #2, I think that older works had a really good way of sending out a powerful message, that has obviously stuck with us until now. good job! :)

Rima H said...

I really agree with your number 3 because ya it is true that people do need to realize that somethings can be better even in the coldest places ; ]